Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:36:15 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        "Rogier R. Mulhuijzen" <drwilco@drwilco.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: status of bridge code

"Rogier R. Mulhuijzen" wrote:

> Is anyone working on the bridge code?
>
> I've got a couple of things I'd like to fix in it, but I wouldn't want to
> be doing anything someone else already did.
>
> My wishlist:
> 1) Better interaction with various drivers (like if_tap). For some reason I
> need to do a wack (undocumented) sysctl to make the bridge code refresh the
> iface list
> 2) Spontanious kablooies. After being in operation for a while it refuses
> to send anything through and doesn't spew any messages....
> 3) Improve documentation.
> 3) iface clustering/routing
> 4) spanning tree implementation

personally I use the netgraph bridging code and I think (though I'm biased)
that you should look at using htat rather than the hardwired bridging
code that it was derived from.

> There's talk of a userland daemon for the last item. Is there such a thing,
> and if so, where.
>
> If there's no such daemon (not even halfway done), what would be the best
> way for a daemon like that to interact with the kernel source? A device or
> sysctl's?

via netgraph.

> item on my list. Being an allround good networking OS this is unacceptable
> IMHO.

Have a look at what you can do with netgraph first.

Most people don't know what it is but it allows almost arbitrarily
complicated network topologies to be set up from the command line.

>         DocWilco

      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org
    (   OZ    ) World tour 2000
---> X_.---._/  from Perth, presently in:  Budapest