Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 1995 17:48:19 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Summary: Re: can I run XFree86 on FreeBSD 2.0.5 from a mounted

Steve Passe stands accused of saying:

> > describe, xdm is highly desirable (for one it reduces login time and
> > monitor stress).
>
> could you explain this in a little more detail?

Sure; login time is reduced because the X server is already running (you
also get the 'green' DPMS screensave functionality if your hardware supports
it).

Monitor stress is reduced due to less (or in most cases no) mode switching -
depending on the monitor, mode switching can be a very stressful exercise.

The xdm 'chooser' functionality is also very useful for a cluster of
Xterminals that may connect to one or more hosts.

> Steve Passe	| powered by

]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile) 041-122-496        [[
]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[