Date:      Wed, 03 Dec 1997 08:22:09 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        nectar@NECTAR.COM
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: emacs core dumping on -current?

In article <Pine.BSF.3.96.971202220922.22879A-100000@kai.communique.net>,
Jacques Vidrine  <nectar@NECTAR.COM> wrote:

> Hi, emacs-19.34 has started dumping core on me since I cvsup'd and make'd
> on 12/2.
>
> Recompiling emacs didn't help.
>
> The backtrace looks like the below.  Has anyone else seen this?
>
> $ gdb emacs
[...]
> #0  0xc40d4 in _malloc_internal (size=4096) at gmalloc.c:717
> 717           while (_heapinfo[block].free.size < blocks)
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0xc40d4 in _malloc_internal (size=4096) at gmalloc.c:717
> #1  0xc4651 in malloc (size=4096) at gmalloc.c:810
> #2  0xc3ef6 in _malloc_internal (size=0) at gmalloc.c:679
> #3  0xc4651 in malloc (size=4) at gmalloc.c:810
> #4  0x85c21 in emacs_blocked_malloc (size=4) at alloc.c:365
> #5  0xc4651 in malloc (size=4) at gmalloc.c:810
> #6  0x85a0b in xmalloc (size=4) at alloc.c:261
> #7  0x3f6ba in sort_args (argc=1, argv=0xefbfdbd0) at emacs.c:1087
> #8  0x3ebe1 in main (argc=1, argv=0xefbfdbd0, envp=0xefbfdbd8) at
> emacs.c:437
> (gdb)

Erk, the fact that it dies in malloc worries me.  I wonder if it could
be related to the recent change I put into the dynamic linker, whereby
the dynamic linker now uses the application's malloc.

Could you revert your dynamic linker to the version that existed on
November 25 and see if it makes a difference?  The sources are in
"src/gnu/usr.bin/ld/rtld/".  You don't need to recompile emacs to
test it.

Thanks,
John