Date:      Sun, 01 Jul 2001 15:52:44 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>, Deepak Jain <deepak@ai.net>, net@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: fastforwarding?

Bakul Shah wrote:

> IMHO you are better off using a recent route lookup algorithm
> than messing with caches.  The PATRICIA tree algorithm is
> what 33 years old now?

Not true.  Any routing algorithm takes longer because they are by
definition a "fuzzy match."  The fastforward algorithm is not, it
is a simple destination address lookup; the cached route is either
there or it is not.  Fast hashing algorithms are quite effective
in locating the route if it has been cached.  Routing switches
usually speed up the lookup even further by using Content Addressable
Memory to map the destination address to a cached route or interface
pointer; it would be interesting to experiment with something like
that in FreeBSD.