Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 1999 14:40:47 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        dgilbert@velocet.ca (David Gilbert)
Cc:        jgreco@ns.sol.net (Joe Greco), stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ahc problems (with vinum?)

David Gilbert wrote...

> Kenneth> For instance, I had two Quantum Atlas II's on one Ultra-Wide
> Kenneth> chain, and was able to get timeouts and errors from the
> Kenneth> Adaptec driver on a pretty regular basis.
>
> Kenneth> The problem was not cabling or termination, but rather bogus
> Kenneth> drive firmware.  The drives would just kinda lockup under
> Kenneth> high bus traffic.  The problem went away when I upgraded the
> Kenneth> firmware.
>
> ... these are all Atlas IV's... is there updated firmware for them?
> How do you upgrade the firmware on SCSI devices?

Quantum has a utility that'll do it, although it generally takes a bootable
DOS floppy and ASPI drivers for your SCSI controllers.

I haven't heard of any problems with the Atlas IV that would cause anything
other than Quantum's usual bogus queue full behavior, but of course that
doesn't mean that there aren't any.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry