Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 22:10:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Allan Saddi <asaddi@philosophysw.com>
To:        fosburgh@flash.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: ppbus problems with 4.0-RELEASE

Unfortunately, I can't say that I have a solution. But I have identified
the problem, in case anyone with more knowledge would like to tackle it.

Parallel ports located at 0x3bc conflict with the vga0 device, which
starts at 0x3c0. It appears that the ppc_probe() function in sys/isa/ppc.c
tries to allocate 8 consecutive I/O ports (i.e. 0x3bc-0x3c3) for each
parallel port. Since vga0 already has 0x3c0-0x3c3 allocated, of course
this fails.

I ran into the problem while upgrading my old 486 system to 4.0-STABLE. I
couldn't figure out how to change the port range for the on-board parallel
port. (I couldn't figure out how to get into BIOS!) So I ended up
installing a parallel port card I had laying around...

I suppose a special case can be made for parallel ports at 0x3bc, but that
seems a bit kludgy...

--
Allan Saddi                         "The Earth is the cradle of mankind,
asaddi@philosophysw.com              but we cannot live in the cradle