Date:      Wed, 01 Oct 2003 15:25:40 -0400
From:      George Georgalis <georgw@galis.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Public Time Synchronization Servers

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 02:23:52PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>* Bjoern A. Zeeb <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net> [20030930 11:44]: wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> > I have been trying for a whole 2 months to be able to get some good
>> > time servers to synchronize against. I am in the GMT +0300 TZ somewhere
>> > in Africa, but in all this time I don't seem to be able to identify
>> > a time server. I would like to run ntpd, using some atomic time server
>> > for sync. I have read all those literature out there, the only problem
>> > is identifying two or three suitable servers to sync against!
>>
>> Have you had a look at the two lists (especially the second) given at
>> the end of this page ?
>>
>> 	http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.html
>
>Yes, I did. Got same errors.
>

>> PS: I hope you aren't behind a sat link ?
>
>Downlink, via Teleglobe ;)

try mtr (traceroute, or whatever) and check the ntp port on your
ISP's routers, it's not uncommon that it would be available to you
and would certainly have the least latency.

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 646-331-2027    <IXOYE><
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@galis.org