Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 2003 19:09:21 +0200
From:      Borje Josefsson <bj@dc.luth.se>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
Subject:   Re: tcp_output starving -- is due to mbuf get delay?

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:32:51 PDT Terry Lambert wrote:

> See other posting; I listed a bunch of OIDs to play with.
> =

> One other, if you are running -CURRENT, would be:
> =

> 	net.isr.netisr_enable		-> 1

I'm running 4.8RC on the sender right now.

I did a quick test with some combination of the OID:s You sent, except I =

didn't reboot between each test:

> Some knobs to try on FreeBSD:
>
>	net.inet.ip.intr_queue_maxlen		-> 300
>	net.inet.ip.check_interface		-> 0
>	net.inet.tcp.rfc1323			-> 0
>	net.inet.tcp.inflight_enable		-> 1
>	net.inet.tcp.inflight_debug		-> 0
>	net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack		-> 0
>	net.inet.tcp.newreno			-> 0
>	net.inet.tcp.slowstart_flightsize	-> 4
>	net.inet.tcp.msl			-> 1000
>	net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive		-> 0
>	net.inet.tcp.sendspace			-> 65536 (on sender)

I didn't test all combinations, but all of them give the same result (~57=
0 =

Mbit/sec, and I run out of CPU), except inflight_enable, which =

*considerably* lowers the performance.I get around 570 Mbit/sec, and run =

out of CPU.

Netstat -m (tcp and ip portion) when I started and after the trials:

=3D=3D=3D before =3D=3D=3D

tcp:
        12103350 packets sent
                2692690 data packets (1962127658 bytes)
                10203 data packets (14829100 bytes) retransmitted
                0 resends initiated by MTU discovery
                6446084 ack-only packets (199 delayed)
                0 URG only packets
                0 window probe packets
                2955524 window update packets
                216 control packets
        16306846 packets received
                847040 acks (for 1962119767 bytes)
                14399 duplicate acks
                0 acks for unsent data
                15281399 packets (2057886406 bytes) received in-sequence
                4425 completely duplicate packets (4551322 bytes)
                0 old duplicate packets
                65 packets with some dup. data (14957 bytes duped)
                38818 out-of-order packets (59514384 bytes)
                0 packets (0 bytes) of data after window
                0 window probes
                120161 window update packets
                3 packets received after close
                4 discarded for bad checksums
                0 discarded for bad header offset fields
                0 discarded because packet too short
        160 connection requests
        49 connection accepts
        0 bad connection attempts
        0 listen queue overflows
        63 connections established (including accepts)
        383 connections closed (including 5 drops)
                10 connections updated cached RTT on close
                10 connections updated cached RTT variance on close
                2 connections updated cached ssthresh on close
        146 embryonic connections dropped
        846952 segments updated rtt (of 521492 attempts)
        36 retransmit timeouts
                2 connections dropped by rexmit timeout
        0 persist timeouts
                0 connections dropped by persist timeout
        438 keepalive timeouts
                438 keepalive probes sent
                0 connections dropped by keepalive
        26449 correct ACK header predictions
        15280149 correct data packet header predictions
        49 syncache entries added
                0 retransmitted
                0 dupsyn
                0 dropped
                49 completed
                0 bucket overflow
                0 cache overflow
                0 reset
                0 stale
                0 aborted
                0 badack
                0 unreach
                0 zone failures
        0 cookies sent
        0 cookies received

ip:
        16393480 total packets received
        0 bad header checksums
        0 with size smaller than minimum
        0 with data size < data length
        0 with ip length > max ip packet size
        0 with header length < data size
        0 with data length < header length
        0 with bad options
        0 with incorrect version number
        1 fragment received
        0 fragments dropped (dup or out of space)
        1 fragment dropped after timeout
        0 packets reassembled ok
        16393029 packets for this host
        450 packets for unknown/unsupported protocol
        0 packets forwarded (0 packets fast forwarded)
        0 packets not forwardable
        0 packets received for unknown multicast group
        0 redirects sent
        12201936 packets sent from this host
        115 packets sent with fabricated ip header
        1367 output packets dropped due to no bufs, etc.
        0 output packets discarded due to no route
        0 output datagrams fragmented
        0 fragments created
        0 datagrams that can't be fragmented
        0 tunneling packets that can't find gif
        0 datagrams with bad address in header

=3D=3D=3D=3D after =3D=3D=3D=3D

tcp:
        13331442 packets sent
                3920701 data packets (2694929130 bytes)
                10203 data packets (14829100 bytes) retransmitted
                0 resends initiated by MTU discovery
                6446155 ack-only packets (207 delayed)
                0 URG only packets
                0 window probe packets
                2955524 window update packets
                226 control packets
        17131926 packets received
                1526734 acks (for 2694921244 bytes)
                14404 duplicate acks
                0 acks for unsent data
                15281806 packets (2057905910 bytes) received in-sequence
                4425 completely duplicate packets (4551322 bytes)
                0 old duplicate packets
                65 packets with some dup. data (14957 bytes duped)
                38818 out-of-order packets (59514384 bytes)
                0 packets (0 bytes) of data after window
                0 window probes
                265251 window update packets
                3 packets received after close
                4 discarded for bad checksums
                0 discarded for bad header offset fields
                0 discarded because packet too short
        165 connection requests
        49 connection accepts
        0 bad connection attempts
        0 listen queue overflows
        68 connections established (including accepts)
        388 connections closed (including 5 drops)
                15 connections updated cached RTT on close
                15 connections updated cached RTT variance on close
                2 connections updated cached ssthresh on close
        146 embryonic connections dropped
        1526646 segments updated rtt (of 793534 attempts)
        36 retransmit timeouts
                2 connections dropped by rexmit timeout
        0 persist timeouts
                0 connections dropped by persist timeout
        438 keepalive timeouts
                438 keepalive probes sent
                0 connections dropped by keepalive
        79056 correct ACK header predictions
        15280431 correct data packet header predictions
        49 syncache entries added
                0 retransmitted
                0 dupsyn
                0 dropped
                49 completed
                0 bucket overflow
                0 cache overflow
                0 reset
                0 stale
                0 aborted
                0 badack
                0 unreach
                0 zone failures
        0 cookies sent
        0 cookies received

ip:
        17218567 total packets received
        0 bad header checksums
        0 with size smaller than minimum
        0 with data size < data length
        0 with ip length > max ip packet size
        0 with header length < data size
        0 with data length < header length
        0 with bad options
        0 with incorrect version number
        1 fragment received
        0 fragments dropped (dup or out of space)
        1 fragment dropped after timeout
        0 packets reassembled ok
        17218116 packets for this host
        450 packets for unknown/unsupported protocol
        0 packets forwarded (0 packets fast forwarded)
        0 packets not forwardable
        0 packets received for unknown multicast group
        0 redirects sent
        13430039 packets sent from this host