Date:      Thu, 16 May 1996 22:49:17 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: EDO & Memory latency

>: The external bus of the Pentium 75 should be 50Mhz. It is 1.5x50, not
>: 3x25. 60ns EDO sounds like an overkill for a Pentium 75 though...
>: I would use a quicker processor and (120) with ordinary memory
>: (fast-page, 70ns) - but the likes may vary.

>This reminds me of a question that I've wanted to ask for a while.
>Does anybody know where I can find a good writeup on the various
>Pentium chip speeds and how they relate to bus speeds?

http://www.intel.com/
http://www.amd.com/
http://www.cyrix.com/

Basically, it's probably either a multiple of 60 or 66.67MHz.  I think
the P75 is the only chip that operates at 50MHz.  This is the speed of
the local _memory_ bus (to the cache and ram).

Take the above speeds and divide by two for the PCI bus speed (25, 30,
33.3).

>I'm most interested in the P5-83 which is an upgrade to my dx2-66.  It
>sounds as if it is running at 2.5x my bus speed, which is odd to say
>the least.

That isn't a true Pentium.  And, I don't know why they chose that, but
yes, it would have to be 2.5x 66MHz if it plugs into a 66MHz socket.

I personally wouldn't bother with the Intel 486->"P5" chip.  It's
over-priced and under-powered compared to the Cyrix and AMD 5x86 chips.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.