Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2001 12:39:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        nate@yogotech.com
Subject:   Re: local changes to CVS tree

In article <15254.32102.836154.871291@nomad.yogotech.com>, Nate
Williams <nate@yogotech.com> wrote:

> So, you're saying that the person would choose the branch (which may
> be RELENG_4 *OR* HEAD).

Yep.  For instance, a company might have a product that's based on
RELENG_4, but with some local mods.  So FreeBSD-4.x is in effect that
company's "vendor".

> I can see how that would work for RELENG_4, but for the HEAD, many
> of the files on the HEAD in /usr/src/contrib are on vendor branches,
> which means it would be a *nightmare* to get that right (IMO).

It would still work just the same.  You're just checking out -current
and importing it onto your own vendor branch.  You don't know or care
about FreeBSD's vendor branch.  Of course (and this is one of the big
complications), CVSup would have to map the version numbers somehow.

Another big complication would be that at some point in the future a
user would want to switch from being based on RELENG_4 to being based
on RELENG_5.  I have a feeling that could get tricky for CVSup to deal
with.

> Although, it may not be as useful to developers, who often have
> to track development in multiple branches (for MFC's).

Right, it would be pretty worthless for FreeBSD developers.

> > Maybe if the economy gets worse ...
>
> *sigh* Let's hope it doesn't come down to that.

Just looking for that silver lining.  Mom would be so proud of me. :-)

John