Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 14:05:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eugene M. Kim" <gene@nttlabs.com>
Subject:   Licensing issue (about MPEG layer-3 audio encoders)

Hello,

As my first port practice I was trying to port the ISO MPEG layer-3
audio encoder sample implementation (also known as ``ISO (reference)
code'' or ``dist10'' in the MP3 world).

However, surfing the web for some programming information I found that
Fraunhofer IIS, the key developer of layer 3 audio encoding scheme, has
patented the technology and demands 25 US$ per encoder copy.

Now there comes a question; my port does not provide a working ``copy''
of the encoder, but rather provide only the groundwork on which the
encoder can be built (under an actual user's discretion).  So I think
that to make this port public shall not constitute infringement of
their intellectual property right, as long as the port build procedure
displays a copyright notice.  Is this correct?

I also looked at audio/8hz-mp3 which is marked broken for ``licensing''
issue.  It doesn't have to be, provided my thought is right...

Any comment will be appreciated.

Regards,
Eugene