Date:      Sun, 03 Mar 2002 21:39:10 -0800
From:      Michael Loftis <mloftis@wgops.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NVIDIA  3D FreeBSD Drivers

--------------000609030104090807010608

They don't own the entire IP for their hardware, nor the software stuff.
 It's routine to license stuff like parts of rendering engies these days.

Brian T.Schellenberger wrote:

>On Sunday 03 March 2002 04:19 am, Benjamin Krueger wrote:
>
>>* Brian T . Schellenberger (bts@babbleon.org) [020303 00:26]:
>>
>>>Why not just avoid nvidia entirely?  Or fight for public release of the
>>>specs instead of trying to get FreeBSD added to the list of "blessed"
>>>OS's like Linux and Windows.
>>>
>>>Avoid proprietary solutions and venders of hardware that are unwilling to
>>>work  with open-source code.
>>>
>>Unwilling, or unable? As I've heard, they will not release specs because
>>they cannot release specs as per licensing contracts for their technology.
>>

>And who is in charge of "their" technology, then?  You're saying that they
>can't release the specs because they forbid themselves from doing so?  I
>don't see how *that* excuses anything.
>
>>This hardly seems like a damnable offense to me, especially considering it
>>helps them build excellent hardware.
>>

>To each his own.

--------------000609030104090807010608

<head>
</head>
They don't own the entire IP for their hardware, nor the software stuff.
&nbsp;It's routine to license stuff like parts of rendering engies these days.<br>
Brian T.Schellenberger wrote:<br>