Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 10:50:19 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Nick Hibma <n_hibma@webweaving.org>
To:        Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>
Cc:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>, current <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: USB D-Link DSB-650 kue0: failed to load code

Both are specifications for USB Host controllers. The difference between
them is internals of the chip and the interface exposed on the PCI bus.

In brief:

	OHCI is made by M$ and emphasizes the fact that hardware should
	be smart to facilitate the software's task.

	UHCI is made by Intel and stupid, in order to facilitate a low
	gate count.

Bottom line, OHCI has some brains and is actually able to transfer 8kb
transfers in one go. UHCI needs to be told _every_sinle_thing_ about  a
transfer: transfer descriptors, size of transfers, but also the sequence
in which iso, interrupt, bulk and control transfers need to be done.
Also the number of interrupts is large, and when an interrupt happens
you'll have to search for the transfer that created the interrupt.
Overhead on the PCI bus should be lower for OHCI as the controller only
has to fetch the description for the transfer once and then can transfer
up to 1kb on the bus in one go.

OHCI is being used in firewire as well I believe. UHCI will not be able
to support those speeds (nor will it support USB2.0 without some change
of the specification)

Both host controllers will support all the USB devices and there should
be no difference in using either of them. There will be some devices
that are supported by one or the other, but those devices are probably
old (some Genius mice come to mind) and newer devices should not have
those problems.

In FreeBSD the problem is that UHCI is slightly better supported than
OHCI. isochronous transport does not work yet with OHCI. Also, I have
been too lazy (busy?) to fix a few major issues with ohci and
recognising devices.

Apologies for that, but no one was willing to pay me for doing the open
source FreeBSD USB stuff (until now) and time was limited due to some
external factors.

Hope this explains a bit.

Nick

n_hibma@webweaving.org