Date:      Thu, 02 Aug 2001 12:06:02 +0100
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Julian Stacey <jhs@jhs.muc.de>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vnconfig + mount removes permission for a second

In message <20010802114835.A92803@walton.maths.tcd.ie>, David Malone writes:

>When you do a mount it automatically HUP's mountd which then
>re-exports NFS filesystems. I suspect what is happening is that
>the the filesystem mountlist is being cleared for a moment and that
>is upsetting the cp.

Yes, the mountd-kernel interface for updating export lists is a
bit stupid; you have to clear all exports and then add each allowed
host/net one by one. Any NFS requests that come in after the exports
have been deleted but before the entries have been re-added will
get rejected.

See PRs misc/3980 and kern/9619 for more details. I think NetBSD
tried at one point to make mountd incrementally change the export
list, but it turned out to be quite hard to get the logic right to
keep the mountd and kernel lists in sync. I think they reverted
that change eventually.

This is certainly a bug that needs to be fixed; mountd should be
able to build up a list of all exports for a filesystem and pass
them into the kernel in one "replace export list"  operation.

Maybe nice'ing mountd to run at a higher priority, and/or specifying
only IP addresses in /etc/exports would help things a bit now.

Ian