Date:      25 May 1999 09:17:22 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: read_toc failed:

Billy Thompson <billy@idiom.com> writes:

[Um, your e-mail is bouncing, thanks to your procmail script.  I'll
just send this to the whole list instead...]

> /var/log/messages:
> May 24 14:46:04 ogre /kernel: acd0: read_toc failed
> May 24 14:46:35 ogre last message repeated 31 times
> May 24 14:48:36 ogre last message repeated 121 times
>
> Is there anyway I can stop these error?  If I can't fix it, is there
> anyway I can filter it out of /var/log/messages?

Well, that's the system telling you it tried to read the table of
contents on an ATAPI cdrom, and failed.  If you're running something
that scans the CDROM drive regularly (like xmcd), you can keep these
messages down by keeping a disk in the drive, or by closing the
offending program when you're not using it.

Short of that, the solutions are the usual for syslog messages: either
change syslog.conf to exclude the whole class of messages, or modify
the system source to not generate the message.

> My system is
> MOTHERBOARD     - ASUS P2B-S w/Adaptec U2W-SCSI
> CPU             - Intel Celeron/Mendocino 400MHz, 66MHz/128K@400MHz
> CDROM DRIVE     - Toshiba 32X IDE (6402B)

You didn't mention the most important bit of information: the version
of FreeBSD.  [e.g., the output of 'uname -v'] In this case, though,
none of that matters.

Good luck.