Date:      Thu, 09 Jul 1998 10:59:20 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
To:        Marc Rassbach <marc@tandem.milestonerdl.com>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel EtherExpress Pro 100 Server vs. client adapter

> This is an interesting question.  Could you be so kind as to forward a
> summary to me on this one?
>

> On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Glenn Johnson wrote:
>
>> I have convinced our network administrator to set up a FreeBSD server and I
>> am recommending that he install an Intel EtherExpress Pro 100 NIC. When I
>> visited the Intel web page, I saw that they have both Server adapter and
>> Client adapter versions of the board. Are any of the extra features of the
>> Server version usable under FreeBSD, or should we get the Client adapter
>> version and save money? Thanks in advance.

OK. Here is what I found out. Here is the URL for the server adapter:

	http://www.intel.com/network/doc/1868/index.html

There are actually two versions of the "server" card. One has an 82556 chip and i960 processor, the other has just the 82556 controller chip. According to David Greenman:

"   If the "server" adapter is the one with the 82556 NIC, then it is
not supported and will not work with FreeBSD."

The client adapter uses the 82558 controller chip and this is the one supported in FreeBSD.

I thank all who responded to this inquiry. One of the concerns our network administror had about "free" software was support. I told him that I get excellent support from the FreeBSD mailing lists. The quick and informative responses I got on this question are a testimonial to this. Thanks again.
--
Glenn Johnson
Technician