Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 1997 14:46:57 -0300
From:      "Daniel Sobral"<Daniel_Sobral@voga.com.br>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD and pkgs

Some comments in the tcl vs ports thread, plus my current work with an AIX
system,
made me consider the following question: would it be
possible/interesting/useful to use
the existing pkg mechanism (used by packages and ports), or an improved
version of
it, to control versions in FreeBSD source and, possibly, patches?

It's obvious that tools for migrating cvs information (or any other future
source control
system) to pck information would have to be used. It's not as obvious that
we the resulting
size could well exceed the available space on most /var partitions around.
On the other
hand, make world could use this information, if available, easing the pains
and reducing
the make world time. Possibly *greatly* reducing it.

So, it seems the idea has it's shares of merits and flaws. My question is:
has this been
considered before? Can anyone add to the list of merits and flaws?