Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 2003 11:40:19 -0500
From:      Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@attbi.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, alfred@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sem.ko and vfs_aio.ko modules not built by default

On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 11:14:28AM -0500, Robert Watson wrote:
> Sometimes, kernel modules will not be built by default because they are
> unstable or experimental features that have not been adequately deployed
> or tested.  I know our AIO implementation has improved in quality a great
> deal over the last couple of years, but last I checked the psem
> implementation had very little practical deployment experience or testing.

Who owns this code?  I see that for /usr/src/sys/modules/Makefile:

   Revision 1.267 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs], Mon Oct 7
   04:08:07 2002 UTC (5 months, 2 weeks ago) by alfred
   Branch: MAIN
   Changes since 1.266: +0 -1 lines
   Diff to previous 1.266 (colored)
Disconnect "sem" module from the build.

Alfred, did you have a particular reason for removing the sem module
from the build?  It would be nice to have this in the -CURRENT build,
at least so that people can try it out, report bugs, etc.  Also,
the sem(4) man page documents that you can "kldload sem" in order
to get this supported.

> Probably what it will take is someone owning the code for a bit to develop
> a proper test suite, chase down nasty interactions, etc.  I know similar

Depending on what you are looking for, the Open POSIX Test Suite
tests for POSIX semaphores: http://posixtest.sourceforge.net/
It's not the best test suite, but it is a start.

> (although not identical) code exists in Darwin -- would be interesting to
> ask Apple if they have a test suite for their psem implementation.

I have done work with MacOS X recently...I would not look to Apple
as a beacon for POSIX conformance, since they lack a lot of things.
FreeBSD CURRENT seems to be far better with respect to POSIX conformance.

--
Craig Rodrigues
http://home.attbi.com/~rodrigc