Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 15:16:26 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Stephane E. Potvin" <sepotvin@videotron.ca>
Cc:        Hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD arm port

In message <3638BF40.304CB4F0@videotron.ca> "Stephane E. Potvin" writes:
: For a project I have here I need to port FreeBSD to an arm architecture
: Before I RTFM and try to learn how to add the support to the FreeBSD gcc
: compiler to cross-compile from our i386-unknown-freebsd3.0 to
: arm-unknown-freebsd3.0 I wanted to check if anyone had already done this
: or was in the process of doing so. I guess it would be easier to do the
: port using netbsd as host but as the hw is not yet ready we are using an
: ebsa285 board to do the prototyping and I was told that netBSD doesn't
: support it natively (though I could be mistaken).

The cross compilation may be a bit of a problem.  while the binutitls
are setup to easily build different targets, the current gcc in the
tree isn't setup to do that at all.  I'm working on "fixing" that for
a target that I'm working on.  Once that is done, the cross compiler
stuff should be fairly simple and easy.

Until that happens, however, your best bet may be to use gcc 2.8.1 or
egcs and configure it --target arm-unknown-freebsd3.0.  You'll need to
write some files to support this, but configure will tell you which
ones (if you clone the FreeBSD entry).

: Also, some pointers as to what are the main steps for doing such a port
: (FreeBSD port as a whole) would be greatly appreciated.

Step one, get build tools working.
Step two-a, get the kernel working
Step two-b, get userland working
Step three boot.  For kernel breakage, see step two-a, for userland
breakage, see step two-b :-)

You'll need to have at least some of the kernel files in place before
you can build a userland.  Trying to build the user land will tell you
what is missing :-).

Warner