Date:      Thu, 09 Jan 2003 18:10:23 -0800
From:      walt <wa1ter@myrealbox.com>
To:        jdp@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   More on Broadcom gigabit (bge) chips.

I see others have had problems with the bge driver on recent ASUS
motherboards.

I originally thought that these chips were supported on -CURRENT
but not on -STABLE because I had no problems installing -CURRENT.

On further investigation I find that the chip is properly initialized
on reboot only 50% of the time on both -CURRENT and -STABLE, so it was
just a matter of chance.

I find that half the time the chip will not properly sense the
100baseTX medium it is connected to and defaults to 1000baseSX
and complains about 'no carrier'.

If this happens then it will respond to an 'ifconfig media 100baseTX'
with a 'device not configured' error, although it will accept other
ifconfig commands to change address, netmask, etc.

Anyone else seeing this?  Any suggestions?