Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 10:54:24 +1000
From:      "John Saunders" <john.saunders@scitec.com.au>
To:        <art@neilson.ddns.org>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: arpresolve message

Arthur W. Neilson III <art@neilson.ddns.org> wrote:

>OK I got my DHCP client working with the Roadrunner cable modem
>service here in Honolulu, and got a login client written in perl5
>working fine. I am however now getting a message from arpresolve
>regarding my loopback.  I get the following message repeatedly:
>
>arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for 127.0.0.1
>
>what is llinfo and what does this message mean??

I got that message when changing a server from NetBSD to FreeBSD
last week. It turned out that some static route commands I brought
across from NetBSD didn't work on FreeBSD.

My situation was a PPP link to a host I will call access-server.
My end of the PPP link was assigned an IP address I will call
news-dialin. This link provides a news feed and is not the
default route for the host, hence the static route.

I then had a static route...

    route add -host news.other.domain news-dialin.other.domain

I found I had to change it to...

    route add -host news.other.domain access-server.other.domain

before it would work. So it looks like you can only add gateway
routes that reference the "other side" of a point to point link
rather than the "local side".

This may or may not help you, it depends on your situation.

Cheers.
 ,--_|\  | John Saunders    mailto:John.Saunders@scitec.com.au   |
/  Oz  \ | SCITEC LIMITED   Phone +61294289563  Fax +61294289933 |
\_,--\_/ | "By the time you make ends meet, they move the ends." |