Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 1997 11:57:36 -0500
From:      Michael Alwan <alwan@rma.edu>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Amnesiac and no user ppp

At 12:35 AM 3/31/97 -0800, you wrote:
>On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Michael Alwan wrote:
>
>> To all:
>>

>> When I reboot, the machine is (Amnesiac) again.
>
>Somehow you broke the 'hostname' directive in /etc/sysconfig.  Make sure
>it's still there and is defined, and is mode 644.
>
>>  In addition, user ppp
>> doesn't work correctly anymore.

>Do "add 0 0 HISADDR" just after connecting to add the route.
>
>> In addition, any program that needs a network connection (netscape, xemacs)
>> will hang if I try to start it (in X windows).
>
>Probably on a nameserver lookup on your name which doesn't exist.
>
>Hope this helps some more.
>
>Doug White                              | University of Oregon
>Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking Assistant
>http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Computer Science Major

Doug:

No go on all your suggestions.  Unfortunately, I ftp'd the 2.2.1 release
directly into my bsd partition, instead of to a dos partition--so I can't
reinstall without hours of downloading.  I do have the 2.1.7 binaries on a
dos partition.  I wanted 2.2.1 for compatability with the oss soundcard
driver from 4front, but I can't get it to work anyway.

Why reinstall?  Well, noticed a couple of wierd things.  My home directory
(/usr/home/michael) may be corrupted somehow: when I "ls" it the contents
display as one column on the left.  Only in this directory: subdirectories
of /michael display correctly.  I tried backing up /michael, deleting the
directory and copying back; the same problem EVENTUALLY appears.  (Is this
because I'm dumping too much stuff into /michael--xemacs, netscape, big
caches from netscape?).  Maybe I should have deleted /home too.

When I ftp'd 2.2.1, the installation did give me a host name--it was an
internet address--I think it was the nameserver of my ISP, or maybe the
dynamic adddress they assign me.  In any case, the problem seem to have
started after I changed this default hostname in sysconfig.

Unless someone has another suggestion, I'm going to reformat the bsd
partition and reinstall some distribution--maybe download 2.2.1 again.
What fun!

Michael