Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 95 12:45 CDT
From:      uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
To:        jkh@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org
Subject:   Re: Revamp of probe/attach messages

[0]any of that.  I don't, however, think that the current output is
[0]helpful enough to qualify as anything but noise.  You guys are
[0]fighting the good fight, but on entirely the wrong battlefield.  An
[0]entirely common syndrome among UNIX die-hards and exactly why we lost
[0]the war to Microsoft.

Just a FYI, but Windows 95 does produce tons of messages reporting
on what it found and where it found it, unlike earlier Windows products
and very similar to the BSD world.

However by default, NONE of the information is shown by Windows 95.  You have
to hit a key (F5?) during the boot sequence, and then you are innundated
with information, including any commands executed and messages from
AUTOEXEC.BAT.  There is also a hidden key-sequence that records all the
information (including failed detection attempts and some rule information)
to a log file.  This very-extended info is never even shown on the screen,
only in the log file.

Perhaps FreeBSD might consider a similar approach, only logging the "not
found" errors to a log file (perhaps not even in the standard
/var/log/messages file), or only write the probe/attach data to
/var/log/messages when requested.  As for the "I found it and am going to
use it" messages, I'd make them go to the log always, and visible during
boot on demand, *IF* you feel this stuff on the screen is scaring people
away from UNIX.  I don't exactly believe that, but whatever.  I think a
"ls /bin" does more "scaring" than anything we do at boot.

If you don't want to display probe/attach messages, you will need a stalling
tactic, such as displaying dots or something to keep people from thinking
the system is lost, much in the way that Windows 95 displays a series of
marquee arrows across the bottom of the start-up screen, which
you stare at for nearly 90 seconds.   We could use dots, perhaps one
for each device probed or attached, just so they would appear at reasonably
regular intervals.

SCO displays letters during kernel initialization that overwrite one
another.  If a SCO system hangs, you can see the last letter displayed and
know roughly what it was doing when it died during boot.  However, SCO
displays probing information too, and it hasn't visibly hurt their sales.

So, I suggest:	(for when we really have time to do something like this)

1.	Not displaying "Not found" and "timeout" type messages on
	the primary console by default.  (That timeout message in the
	Mitsumi driver is the only message that bugs me.)
2.	Writing the more detailed info to a log somewhere.
3.	If the probing messages are so offensive, display them on console #2
	which people already know how to get to, but boot with console #1
	visible.  Do something on console 1 to make it appear the boot
	process is proceeding.
	(Continue to log the probing somewhere even if on console #2.)
4.	Log all probing in gory detail (-v?) to a log file other than
	/var/log/messages, possibly keeping only a few generations
	around.

The thing I don't want is for the information to not be logged if I
or a client doesn't happen to be there to type -v (or whatever) when
the system comes back up from a power failure or other crash and some
peripheral doesn't start or is not detected correctly.  For that type of
case, I want the "I tried but failed" info.  It might help me figure
out what went wrong with a peripheral without having to go there and
do a cold reboot on all devices.

Thanks.

Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>|"The Knights who say "LETNi"
or uhclem%nemesis@fw.ast.com (Fastest Route)| demand...  A SEGMENT REGISTER!!!"
...letni!rwsys!nemesis!uhclem               |"A what?"
...decvax!fw.ast.com!nemesis!uhclem         |"LETNi! LETNi! LETNi!"  - 1983