Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 08:56:48 +0200 (GMT)
From:      Robin Lunn <robin@is.co.za>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /dev/console

Michael Smith wrote:
> You're using xinit.  Don't.  Use xdm like you should be; part of its
> startup explicitly facilitates xconsole's operation.  You might
> also try xterm -C if you're desperate.

I use (happily) use xdm now but when I first got X going used xinit.  Same
symptoms of not being able to access /dev/console.  This went away when I
added myself to the operator group.

Oh!  That reminds me.  They might well be using /dev/ttyv0 instead of
/dev/console...  Would that make a difference?  FreeBSD comes configured to
use ttyv0 instead of console.  I'm too settled in my X session to tinker with
this idea right now.  :-)

Should you want to use /dev/console instead of /dev/ttyv0, edit /etc/ttys to
reflect the following:
console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on secure
ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off  secure

--
_ __                  | Only my ideas here unless I say otherwise...
' )  )     /          | (BeamJack@IRC)