Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 09:35:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, terry@program-products.co.uk
Subject:   Re: console terminal server and power loss

> Hi,
>
> Please forgive me if this is not strictly on topic.
>
> I have an old 386 that I'm trying to configure as a terminal server
> for several Sun's serial consoles.  Everything works fine except that
> when the power is dropped on the server, a BREAK is sent to all the
> serial ports resulting in the Suns dropping down to the boot prompt.
> I'm trying to do this on the cheap so switched power supplies is out.
> I'm using 3.2-STABLE if that makes any difference.  Any other
> suggestions gratefully received.
>
> Cheers,
> Terry.

Terry -

 I may be wrong, but I thought a <break> on an RS/232 was a 25ms
drop in the +5v line.  When the power goes out, that will be the
case... so, you get your break.  There's not much you can do
about that...

 Why is it that the power goes out on your 386 and not on your sun?
Can you "plug" the PC into the same power source as your Sun boxes?
Then, the PC won't go down until the Suns do...

	- Dave Rivers -