Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 1996 10:40:48 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        claussen@darkwing.uoregon.edu (Mike Claussen)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install problems

> I am trying to install FreeBSD 2.1 on an AST 386C (DX-20) with a
> WD1007V-SE2 ESDI controller attached to a Miniscribe 3180E and
> MicroScience FH-2777 drives and an Intel EtherExpress card.  My problem
> occurs (i think) when the partition information is written to the drive.
>  I'm getting the following errors:
>
> "Unable to make new root filesystem on /dev/rwd0a Command returned status
> 36"
> "Couldn't make filesystems properly.  Aborting"
>
> At which point I'm returned to the menu.
>
> Do I need to do anything special to make the ESDI drives work?  What does
> status 36 mean?

You will need to install as a pure BSD system (ie: you can not share
the drive).

Alternately, you can rejumper the drive to turn off the translation
and sector sparing (J8 and J14, if I remember correctly) and then
reformat it using the WD1007 formatting tool from ftp.wdc.com.

Then you can reinstall BSD and whatever other OS you need to.

Note that you will need to divide the disk area for disks larger
than 1024 cylinders, since Bad144 during boot will only be able
to access replacement sectors if it believes the end of the BSD
boot partition is less than cylinder 1024.

This is part of the continuing silly placement of the replacement
sectors used by the Bad144 algorithm; otherwise, you would just
need to be sure slice 'a' ("/") and slice 'b' ("swap") were below
cylinder 1024, and the limitation wouldn't impact the other slices
(like "/usr").

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---