Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:57:31 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dependancy hell, post linux_base-8 conversion

Dan Nelson schrieb:

>>We depend on expat and fontconfig in our X11 libs because they need
>>them at run time (lib depends). For linux this is the case too. So
>>why should we not let the linux X11 libs depend upon them?
>>
>>The alternative is to add implicit dependencies to all other ports.
>>We don't do this for our FreeBSD ports (most of the time), so why
>>should we do it in the linux ports?
>

> But is this a slippery slope where at some point we will have a linux-*
> rpm "port" for every rpm installed?  Why not just pull the expat,
> fontconfig, etc rpms into linux_base?

What's wrong with it?

When you just need the linux base on a server, without the need for the
X11 bits, why should you install libs you don't need?

Just a little note: the RE team and portmgr discussed what ports could
get stripped down for 4.11, since not every port fits on the CD. At one
point they asked me if it would be possible to not include the locale
stuff in the linux_base-8 port. AFAIK the final decision is to produce 2
"CD number 1", one with GNOME and one with KDE. So this issue doesn't
matters ATM, but with a modular approach it would be possible to keep
the size of the packages we need to put on the first CD small (just
those which we really need).

BTW.: I've just modified/corrected the dependencies in some linux ports
for the use with linux_base-8. I didn't added new linux ports. Anyone
who used linux_base-8 previously had to add them by hand or used a port
which pulled those ports into the system because they specified the
implicit dependencies too (e.g. linux-opera). Some of those dependencies
showed up at several experimental runs of the ports build cluster around
Dec 22-26. If someone finds an unnecessary dependency I added, feel free
to tell us about it, but I doubt there are much (maybe 0-3).

Bye,
Alexander.