Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:13:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Culver <culverk@alpha.yumyumyum.org>
To:        Tony Vickers <tony@imnetworks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP

> Can FreeBSD support more than one CPU? All the docs that I have found
> touch on the subject, but never really answer the question. I plan on
> moving from linux to FreeBSD on our database systems, however this
> question could make or break the out come. Thanks.

Yes FreeBSD supports SMP, but it won't make much of a difference on a
FreeBSD 4.x machine for databases. Databases tend to have a lot of
processes trying to access the disk at once. This requires kernel service
and right now in 4.x FreeBSD can only have one processor running the
kernel at once. FreeBSD 5.0 (planned for release in November) will correct
this, and most likely be as fast as (if not faster than) anything out
there.

Ken