Date:      Thu, 09 Jan 1997 01:01:16 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        jlemon@americantv.com (Jonathan Lemon)
Cc:        hawke@hawkewerks.com (HawkeWerks Multimedia), freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as an ISDN Router

> That's not quite fair.  I have no opinion on the ISDN stuff, having never
> used it, but the Motorola Power modems are pretty good.  Now, if you want

Hmmmm.  Take a look at their AT command set reference, see some of the
perversions they made to it.  Now try their new dialing command.
Notice how it locks you into pulse dial until you power cycle the unit.
Try turning down the volume on your speaker with the documented commands
for this.  Try it on a noisy line.

Trust me, this modem has problems. :-)

> to sling mud at modems, probably nothing is more deserving of the
> "piece-o-shit" label than the USR's Sportster line.

Naw, I couldn't say that about the sportster.  "Flaming piece-o-shit"
would, I think, be more accurate given their old habit of bursting
into open flames if you stacked two on top of eachother. :-)

I wouldn't recommend the USRs either, though I have to admit that I
use quite a few of them at Walnut Creek CDROM (they're cheap and
hardly ever ignite with the new power transformer design).
I suppose if you want a nice modem, you have to buy a Fujitsu
or a Zyxel, but how many stores do you know that carry those?
Exactly. :-(

					Jordan