Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 10:55:02 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: importing xemacs-21.4

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 10:02:17AM +0200, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> On Sunday 16 September 2001 19:24, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 10:47:16AM +0200, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> > > What do people think about importing xemacs-21.4 as xemacs-devel ? This
> > > would allow us to do a repository copy of the xemacs21 port, keep those
> > > who want to be on the cutting-edge happy but still maintain a port for
> > > those who prefer to use the release version of xemacs.
> >
> > If you're happy with the additional maintenance overhead, then I think
> > this is a good idea.
>
> Since I only got one replyh to my origianl mail I get the impression that
> noone really cares that much about which version of xemacs is in xemacs21.
>
> Let me put the question in a different manner:
>
> Does anyone care if I replace xemacs21.1.14 with xemacs21.4.4 in the xemacs21
> port ? Speak up now or forever hold your peace.

I think people will care if the port is broken. I personally prefer ports
to only have released versions, unless there hasn't been a release yet.
In those rare cases where everybody tends to track development, add a
-devel version.

If people have problems with software installed throught the ports
collection, it's better for us and the user that it's an official
release.

Just IMO of course,