Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 10:00:08 -0400
From:      "Potts, Ross" <PottsR@MTMC.ARMY.MIL>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   xf86 setup

As soon as I can get XFREE86 set up correctly, I will subscribe so I won't
be intruding.  For background, I have been playing with FBSD since 2.2.2,
when I found the Complete FreeBSD at a computer show.

Here is my question:

How many others have had problems setting X up with the "newer" S3 boards?
I've noticed in the archives that a lot of the resolutions questions had to
do with the 4mb cards.  Symptoms included 320X200 screen sizes and
unchangeable screen modes.  solutions suggested were to try to run with a
lower color rating with screen resolution.

Here's a little twist.  I'm using 2.2.7 and the version of XF86 that was
shipped with it(3.3.2?).  When I first got 2.2.7, I had a S3 TRIO 64+
chip(builtin)and had .  I didn't run into the problem until after I disabled
the chip and plugged in the card(Digital Research Technologies, it works
w/w95).  Since I bought it thinking I could get more colors, do you think
that if I connected the old builtin to a newer 3D card(1M+8M), would that
work?  Am I thinking about this all wrong? Does this have to do with the
phasing out of the S3V driver in XF86?

I did manage to get a higher resolution(only 1, with no switching) with Red
Hat 5.2; after running the setup, I had to link the S3V driver.  Only
problem is, it's not FBSD.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Ross Potts