Date:      Mon, 06 Oct 1997 06:23:46 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@tri-lakes.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: CVSup release identity

On 06-Oct-97 Annelise Anderson wrote:

>> > I think that this is a very good idea. I would delete the "-STABLE"
>> > portion of the label. "FreeBSD 2.2 (0360)" conveys the same info, is
>shorter
>> > and eliminates some of the confusion. For the RELEASES, I would use
>> > "FreeBSD 2.2.0", "FreeBSD 2.2.5", etc.
>>
>> I like this.  If it's got three digits (e.g. 2.2.5), it's a release.
>If it's
>> got two digits plus the extra part, it's taken from an on-going branch,
>and
>> the extra part indicates when it was taken.  That should help clear up
>any
>> confusion between branches and releases.
>
>But releases are also taken from ongoing branches.  In any case, uname -r
>on my machine now produces:
>
>2.2-STABLE-971004-19:45 PDT
>
>which is explicit in indicating the date and time at which cvsup began
>downloading the sources.  That seems more informative than a code that
>has to be translated into a date.
>
>       Annelise

I have been following this debate since it started, and my own idea at the
beginning of it was very similar to the above.  A time stamp is about as
fine-grained as you can get, and is not dependant on how either CTM or
cvsup work.  After all, this has been how we have been describing just how
far along we are on the stable tree for a long time now.  "And you cvsupped
when? 19:45 10/4/97? Oh, thats just before I made those <such and such>
changes."

--- Chris Dillon
--- cdillon@tri-lakes.net