Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 17:08:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        bde@zeta.org.au
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG, paulz@trantor.stuyts.nl
Subject:   Re: make buildworld needs root privs , why ?

 * It almost is.  You have to set BINOWN, BINGRP, SHAREOWN and SHAREGRP
 * to something that you can shown to,

Any reason why we don't want to add something to the buildworld
environment that will make this the default?  (Like, BINOWN=`id -u`, etc.)

 * 				       and you have to have write permissions
 * to /usr/obj/your-usr-src or set MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX to somewhere you can
 * write to.

Well, that's a given.  I don't think people are stupid enough to not
be able to figure that out. ;)

 * It's almost worked for a year or two.  I don't know why I thought there
 * was no problem with schg flags.  schg is currently used for a whole 2
 * 2 files under ${WORLDTMP} (libc.so.M.m and libc_r.so.M.m), and buildworld
 * by non-root crashes about half way through when the first of these is
 * installed.

It shouldn't be to hard to add a flag to disable these, too.

Satoshi