Date:      Wed, 03 Dec 1997 10:07:55 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr>
Cc:        nectar@nectar.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: emacs core dumping on -current?

> > Erk, the fact that it dies in malloc worries me.  I wonder if
> > it could be related to the recent change I put into the dynamic
> > linker, whereby the dynamic linker now uses the application's
> > malloc.
>
> Ah! this is probably the culprit because I reinstalled an old
> /usr/lib, an old kernel with its lkms, and emacs still core dumps.

Yes, my dynamic linker changes are definitely the cause of the
problem.  I confirmed it with some experiments, and Amancio reported
the same thing.

Reverting to the dynamic linker from around Nov. 25 makes it work
fine.  Note, you don't have to rebuild the kernel or emacs or anything
else except the dynamic linker.

The whole thing is pretty ironic.  The dynamic linker changes made
it possible to get the stack trace, which in turn pointed the finger
at the dynamic linker changes. :-O

I am not going to back out the changes right away.  But I will look at
emacs as soon as I can and work out a fix.  I'll also post a heads up
in the -current mailing list.

Sorry for the hassle.

John