Date:      Sat, 4 Jun 2011 13:25:26 +0200
From:      Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
To:        Jaime Kikpole <jkikpole@cairodurham.org>
Cc:        Steve Polyack <korvus@comcast.net>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Dell R210 "no disks found"

On 3 Jun 2011, at 17:18, Jaime Kikpole <jkikpole@cairodurham.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Steve Polyack <korvus@comcast.net> wrote:=

>> I'm assuming these have the PERC H200 cards in them.  If so, you will nee=
>> the mps(4) driver which is only available in FreeBSD 8-STABLE built somet=
ime
>> after the 8.2 release.  You can find ISO snapshots of 8-STABLE builds her=
>> "PERC H200" for more information.
>=20
> I made a DVD from the ISO and then it booted.  I had to destroy the
> RAID array, unfortunately.  It looks 8-STABLE can see the disks as
> /dev/da0 and /dev/da1, but it can't see the array.
>=20

This is both normal and excpected, at this point in time the mps driver can'=
t work with h200's hard raid.

> My next issue is this:  I can use the DVD to install 8.2-RELEASE, but
> not 8-STABLE.  However, 8.2-RELEASE can't boot, sinc eit doesn't have
> the driver for the HDs.  Am I missing something?
>=20

You need to get mfsbsd by Martin Matuska.
Then, prepare a 8.2 world along with the kernel containing the mps driver an=
d/or module.

Once your image is done, install a dummy Linux on your box.

Next, inject your mfsbsd image in the disks with dd , and reboot.

Once you reboot you'll have a fully functional bsd running from ram.
You will then be able to perform a manual install as I roughly describe here=
:
http://my.gd/bsd.htm(l)

You will also need, once your install is done, to recopy a kernel including t=
he mps driver, seeing the one from the 8.2 isos doesn't.