Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:48:39 -0500
From:      "Bob Perry" <rperry4@earthlink.net>
To:        "Josh Paetzel" <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dmesg Analysis

> On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 09:08:31PM -0500, Bob Perry wrote:
> > I recently upgraded/reinstalled 4.7 RELEASE and apparently lost use of
my
> > SCSI tape backup system.  The dmesg command indicates that FreeBSD found
the
> > controller and tape but I don't understand much more than that.
> >
> > Does anyone know where I might find some documentation which would
explain
> > output resulting from running dmesg?  For instance, one of the lines
reads:
> >     sa0 at adv0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
> > ?
> > Just looking for some direction.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> I don't know of any docs that really explain reading a dmesg in detail,
but
> I'd be willing to help you sort your issues if you posted your dmesg.

Thanks Josh,

I have a SCSI Seagate TapeStor system that worked fine under 4.5 RELEASE.
It worked equally as well when I tried a binary upgrade to 4.7.  There were
too many other problems with the upgrade so later I did a complete install
of 4.7.  This is where I found that my tape system no longer responded to
any mt commands.

I ran the command dmesg | grep sa0 for the tape device and got the
following:
        sa0 at adv0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
        sa0: <Seagate STT20000N 6451> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2
device
        sa0: 10,000 MB/s transfers (10,000 MHz, offset 15)

Also ran dmesg | grep adv0 for the controller:
        adv0: AdvanSys Ultra SCSI Host Adapter SCSI ID 7, queue depth 240
        adv0: <AdvanSys ASC3030/50 SCSI controller> port 0xb400-0xb4ff mem
0x5000000-0xd50000ff irq 11 at device 12.0 on pci0

My  kernel SCSI controller data reads:
        adv0        at isa?
My kernel SCSI peripheral data reads:
        sa            Sequential Access (tape, etc)

The best I can pull from this is that FreeBSD finds the tape and controller
when it boots.

Thanks again