Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 1995 21:31:32 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pilot error on my part or feedback on the 2.1 snap

"Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org> writes:

>On the advice of Richard Wackerbarth I decided to install the 2.1 snap
>instead of the 2.0.5 RELEASE.

>Is this somehow a pilot error or should I fall back to 2.0.5?

I'm not quite sure what the problem is. However, in my defense, the code
that is giving you trouble (the disk headers) is the same in 2.0.5 as it is
in later versions.

Personally, I dislike the design decision to subvert the entire concept of
disklabeling simply to conform to MSDOS's way of doing things. But then I
was not allowed to be party to that design decision.

When I changed from 2.0 to 2.0.5, I had to go in and reformat EVERY disk
(all 20Gig) and copy things onto new partitions. It wasn't fun, but now I
am assured that I can remove any disk and use it as a bootable disk on
another system.

I hope you get past the disk initialization. Then if you have additional
problems, perhaps I can help.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net