Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 21:54:48 +0100 (CET)
From:      Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        alfred@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: some proposals about nfsd(8)

Hi Matt,

thank you for you mail.

>     nfsd sits in the kernel most of the time.  It needs
>     to ignore SIGTERM in order to stay alive as long
>     as possible during a shutdown, otherwise loopback
>     mounts will not be able to unmount.

ok, added a comment about this.

>     nfsd -r is used if you already have nfsd's
>     running but somehow unregistered the nfs service
>     from the portmapper.  For example, if you killed
>     the portmapper and restarted it.  nfsd -r simply
>     reregisters the service that is already running
>     and then exits.

that's clear. but why I get such output ?

# nfsd -h localhost (and output from rpcinfo(8))
    100003    2    udp       127.0.0.1.8.1          nfs        superuser
    100003    3    udp       127.0.0.1.8.1          nfs        superuser
    100003    2    udp6      ::1.8.1                nfs        superuser
    100003    3    udp6      ::1.8.1                nfs        superuser

and if it's just started normal:

# nfsd(8) and (and output from rpcinfo(8))
    100003    2    udp       0.0.0.0.8.1            nfs        superuser
    100003    3    udp       0.0.0.0.8.1            nfs        superuser
    100003    2    udp6      ::.8.1                 nfs        superuser
    100003    3    udp6      ::.8.1                 nfs        superuser

rpcbind(8) has registered it with the complete address. Is this
visible output only and it listen to ports only or does this
also includes binding to some interface ?

Martin