Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 16:13:51 +1000
From:      Christopher Smith <csmith@its.uq.edu.au>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Dell CERC ATA RAID controller

Some weeks ago I posted a message inquiring as to whether this controller
was supported by FreeBSD.  This controller ships with Dell PowerEdge 500SC
(and possibly other Dells).

I am happy to report the card works perfectly under 4.6-RELEASE.  It is
detected as an AMI MegaRaid card (presumably Dell just rebadge these cards).

Dmesg says:

amr0: <AMI MegaRAID> mem 0xfb000000-0xfb00ffff irq 5 at device 10.0 on pci0
amr0: <CERC ATA100/4ch> Firmware H661, BIOS 1.01, 16MB RAM

These appear to be pretty nice controllers, they have 4 independent channels
(up to 8 drives, or 4 if you care about performance) and do hardware RAID 0,
1, 5 and 10.  They also have 16MB of onboard cache (albeit not
battery-backed).  This machine (and 5 others now confirmed for purchase) are
being used as "poverty-pack" firewalls.  With one of these controllers and
the two 64bit PCI slots they should fit the bill perfectly.

Apologies if this is old news to people, but when I posted my original
message asking if they were supported, it was largely met with deafening
silence.

--
+- Christopher Smith, Systems Administrator ------------------------------+
|  Server & Security Group, Information Technology Services               |