Date:      Sun,  8 Aug 99 14:13:58 +03d00
From:      "Cillian  Sharkey" <cillian@BAKER.IE>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Various Questions

Hi,

Sorry for multiple questions in one email but here goes..

when a network interface is put into promiscuous mode, a kernel message is logged ie. "ep0: promiscuous mode enabled" are there plans to log the reverse of this message ie. "ep0: promiscuous mode disabled"..I think this was suggested before in the mailing-lists but did anything come of it ?

can the code for network interfaces be dynamically loded (by loadable kernel modules) when they are needed ? ie. when I run ppp which uses the tun0 interface I need to manually "kldload if_tun" as I don't have tun support included in my (3.2-STABLE) kernel..

seeing as IPFILTER comes with fbsd now, are there any plans to incorporate it into the conf files ie (/etc/rc.firewall, etc..) in NetBSD they seem to have support for it (ie. in /etc/rc.conf there is a ipfilter=YES|NO ipnat=YES|NO option which use files like /etc/ipf.conf and /etc/ipnat.conf) ?

Is the Gnome Display Manager (gdm) supposed to come with GNOME ? I installed gnome-1.0.0 but it didn't seem to come with it (not that I actually got GNOME to work for me..)

last question (very trivial): is it possible to change the colour of the kernel messages (in i386 ports, FreeBSD seems to use bright white, NetBSD uses green and OpenBSD uses white on blue I think)

Thanks in advance,
- Cillian