Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:01:58 -0400
From:      Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alpha tinderbox failure

David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 12:12:12PM -0400, Mike Barcroft wrote:
> >
> > I think <machine/endian.h> would be better here.  It may not have
> > worked because of the missing <sys/cdefs.h> issue.
>
> We will never get that header included in the GDB sources -- it is
> totally FreeBSD (NetBSD also?) specific.  It almost sounds like we have a
> bug in our headers.

Sort of.  The way it historically built was by taking advantage of the
fact that C allows multiple #define's if they are the same.  My commit
changed the definition of BYTE_ORDER to _BYTE_ORDER instead of
LITTLE_ENDIAN or BIG_ENDIAN.

The reason this didn't show up as a problem on i386 was because of a
<sys/types.h> include (which includes <machine/endian.h>) earlier in
the source file.  <machine/endian.h> (apparently this is spelled
<endian.h> on other systems) should always be included before fiddling
with the byte order manifest constants.

Your commit which included <sys/types.h> on alpha "fixed" this problem
in the same way the i386 case is "fixed".  Where "fixed" is defined as
a side-effect of fixing another problem. :)

Best regards,
Mike Barcroft