Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 08:19:49 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Paul Apple <paula@jeffnet.org>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 ==> 3.1 buildworld stopping at bootstrap libraries

Paul Apple wrote:

> please bear with me while i try to get hip. i appreciate all the
> constructive information/instruction anyone can offer.

No problem. I can't answer most of your questions, as I'm not
familiar with the nasty details of the upgrade process. Here is what
I can answer.

> should i/why should i put the line "NOCONFIRM=yes" line in my make.conf?

NOCONFIRM=yes is for those who are familiar with the process and/or
wish to make batch installs. I'd say your case is one of not setting
this variable. :-) Please notice that setting NOCONFIRM=no may be
the same thing as setting it to yes or anything else, so just leave
it unsetted.

> can i use the handbook guide "how to make the world your own" from step 6
> onward as reference for updating /etc and /dev ?

Funny, I'd think /dev would be updated for you. If needed at all.
Here is what I recommend if you want to get familiar with upgrading
/etc:

1) Backup your /etc (cp -phR /etc /usr/tmop/myetc, for instance).
2) cd /usr/src/etc; mergemaster
3) on another window, examine/man files you get asked about which
you are not sure about. You have to be careful with the password
files, since they have a database file which cannot be merged and
has to be regenerated from the merged ascii files, but that's the
only hurdle I'm aware of.
4) Restore your /etc from the backup, since you did not make world.
:-)

> after that, i'll be elf and have a GENERIC 3.1 kernel correct?

I thought the upgrade target changed the kernel configuration file
of your choice. Of course, if you are using a GENERIC kernel, that
would be right.

> do i need to use "COMPAT22=yes" in make.conf so my ports and packages will
> work until i can get fresh versions to replace the old ones?

Mostly, yes.

> once the ports/packages are rebuilt/upgraded, can i take out the COMPAT22
> reference from make.conf and then "make world" and then move on to
> customizing kernels?

Don't bother with that. COMPAT22 are libraries. Either you have
them, or you don't. If you have them, make world won't delete them.
If you don't, well, you don't. :-)

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	Well, as a computer geek, I have to believe in the binary universe.