Date:      13 May 2000 11:33:05 +0200
From:      Rasmus Kaj <kaj@raditex.se>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Rasmus Kaj <kaj@raditex.se>
Subject:   package maintenance (Re: ucd-snmp)

 >> Let's take removing Samba as an example:
 >>
 >> 1.  pkg_info | grep -i samba
 >> 2.  wait for a long time.
 >> 3.  pkg_delete samba-2.0.6

Why not pkg_delete samba<TAB> ?

 JKH> What I don't understand is why the next generation of package hackers
 JKH> (and I salute anyone intrepid enough to go hacking on that evil code)
 JKH> hasn't just *extended* the current feature set, [...]

I went the other (also very 'Unix-esque', IMO) way: I let the pkg_*
tools be as they are and extended the shell to make them convinient.

Here's my tcsh completeion settings for it (since I wrote that, I have
changed to zsh, but I haven't yet rewritten the completions for it) :

complete pkg_info "p@*@F:/var/db/pkg/@"
complete pkg_delete "p@*@F:/var/db/pkg/@"
complete pkg_checksum "p@*@F:/var/db/pkg/@"

The last one, pkg_checksum, is a simple perl script which uses
pkg_info to get the checksums for all installed files and checks that
they matches the actual files (I originally wrote it to find the file
I had modified to make jade work for large files, not remembering that
it was mentioned in the pkg_info for jade :-) ).

--
Rasmus Kaj ------------------ rasmus@kaj.a.se - http://Raditex.se/~kaj/
 \                         Never try to outstubborn a cat -Lazarus Long