Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 96 15:19:32 -0800
From:      Randall Raemon <delta1@netcom.com>
To:        dubois@primate.wisc.edu (Paul DuBois)
Cc:        moore@wolfenet.com (Timothy Moore), freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding a second, bootable disk

In message <199610271954.NAA27100@night.primate.wisc.edu>
Paul DuBois writes

> sysinstall is also apparently unable to do the stuff about selecting
> a disk slick and partitioning it.  It allows you to select a slice,
> then allows you to specify how to partition it, but when you say Write
> to actually have it write the information to the disk, it crashes.
> This is too bad, because the sysinstall procedure for selecting and
> partitioning is *so* much nicer than disklabel.

I've run into this, doing this exact same kind of thing. There was an
eyeblink of a message on my box saying that the system was unable to
newfs the slice that I had said to be swap space on the new disk.
I checked the slicing after the write and before the barf. The
slicing took. I had to go in and disklabel/newfs the hard way, using
the line commands. It took a couple of iterations thru sysinstall for
me to get the numbers that disklabel and newfs needed. Once I had the
specs for the partitions inside the slices, it was a relative breeze.
The disk has been humming along since. Be sure to read the newfs
manpage, as there are some insane defaults for some key geometry
values.

--
Randall Raemon
delta1@netcom.com