Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 1996 10:45:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        mikebo@tellabs.com
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, mikebo@freefall.freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Triton-II support... when?

> > FreeBSD supports the Triton chipset.  Since the difference between the
> > I and II is the cache bug is fixed in the II, I can't see where fixing
> > a bug could make it not run.
>
> As I understand it, there are much more profound changes than simply
> one bug fix. I've been told that Triton-II:
> o  fixes a write-back cache bug
> o  nominally speeds all memory accesses ~5%
> o  adds support for concurrent PCI/ISA bus accesses
> o  adds support for multi-processing
> o  adds support for ECC memory
>
> Seems like a *lot* more functionality than can be accounted for by a
> simple bug fix, no? Perhaps Terry means Triton-II implements a superset
> of Triton-I functionality (plus the cache bug fix) so there's no reason
> existing kernel code would break? That's great... I thought perhaps
> there was more purpose to the chipset sensing code in
> /usr/src/sys/pci/pcisupport.c .

If I add a bell to a bicycle, I don't have to relearn how to ride it.

A better analogy would be the FIFO'ed floppy controllers: the driver
doesn't use the FIFO, but that doesn't mean the driver doesn't work.

Or VGA cards for standard resoloutions.

I don't think there will be a problem.  The *one* potential area for
trouble is if the chip ID is different and is used to gate behaviour,
in which case, you will need to dup a line in the PCI bus interface
data and rebuild a kernel.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---