Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:11:46 +0100
From:      <gerald.heinig@ngi.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with kernel mod compilation

Hi everyone,

I'm currently developing a kernel module for a Gig. Ethernet card and
I've run into problems with my file tree and the kernel mkdep mechanism.
I have two files in my source directory which I've created under
/usr/src/sys/dev/yk  yk being my driver

I've updated /usr/src/sys/conf/files  (since I want this beast to work
under all architectures) and I've created a copy of GENERIC, called YK,
with my device yk as an option.

Now, the problem is that I have a number of files in a header
subdirectory under /dev/yk which I have to include. I cannot modify
these header files, since they're company-wide include files which get
included by just about everybody. They're only changed if ABSOLUTELY
necessary.

My subtree looks like this:

../dev/yk/if_yk.c
../dev/yk/if_yk.h
../dev/yk/h/headerfile1.h
../dev/yk/common/h/headerfile2.h

These additional header files get included by if_yk.h (which gets
included by if_yk.c)
When I do a make depend, it says it can't find h/headerfile1.h etc etc.

I need to pass a -I flag to mkdep, but I have no idea how to do this ie.
what files to modify.

Can anyone help, please?

Cheers,

Gerald