Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 12:01:39 +0900
From:      Taketoshi Sano <kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>
To:        justas@mbank.lv, andrews@technologist.com, steve@FreeBSD.ORG, cjh@kr.FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, sano@debian.org
Subject:   Re: ports/19238: sgmltools1

Hi, everyone.

In <86sntg77sh.fsf@gradius.myhome>, on "12 Jul 2000 05:04:30 +0900",
  CHOI Junho <cjh@kr.FreeBSD.org> wrote:

cjh>     EF> Is linuxdoc-tools completely compatible with sgml-tools-1.0.x ?
cjh>
cjh>     EF> Can I use it instead of sgml-tools-1.0.x with kdevelop (with no changes
cjh>     EF> to kdevelop)?
cjh>
cjh> I think, yes. Please consult this issue with Sano-san, the maintainer
cjh> of linuxdoc-tools.

I don't know about kdevelop, but linuxdoc-tools should be essentially
compatible with sgml-tools 1.0.9, at least now.

I changed the name of the real command from sgmltools to linuxdoc,
but this command has not been used directly by users, so this would
not affect on the compatibility.  I left the name for other commands
 (sgmlcheck and sgml2xxxx) as it is, though I am planning to drop them
in future, and use the command "linuxdoc" solely (Current version
already has the ability to use all the features via this single command
with the new option "--backend/-B".

Enhancements on vanila 1.0.9 of sgml-tools are:

  * rtf-fix/rtf2rtf.l: deferred initialization by stdout (#29451)
  * man/sgml2txt.1: minor corrections (#28915)

   (by Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de> for his Debian package
       of sgml-tools 1.0.9-1)

  * Mapping files for LaTeX changed to keep new babel happy

   (by Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@debian.org> for his Debian
    package of sgml-tools 1.0.9-1.2)

  * Apply JF patch to handle the document in EUC-JP encoding.

  * modify doc/Makedoc.sh to enable package build when the system
    does not have the package installed.

  * modify Makefile.in to rewrite man pages and to replace some
    Macro-like word ($LINUXDOCLIB, $LINUXDOCBIN, $LINUSDOCBIN)

  * modify lib/dist/fmt_txt.pl and lib/dist/sgmltools/groff/mapping
    to enable sgml2txt output appendix numbering as letter correctly

  * modify lib/dist/sgmltools/groff/mapping to suppress error messages
    about undefined LH and RH.

  * apply the patch to fix the action in signal handler "cleanup"
    in lib/SGMLTools/Utils.pm. Thanks to Roman Hodek for that patch.

  * modify lib/dist/fmt_txt.pl to convert entities such as &lt; and &gt;
    in output for manpage.

  * modify lib/SGMLTools.pm, lib/dist/fmt_txt.pl, and lib/dist/fmt_rtf.pl
    to enable the handling of a filename with spaces for text and rtf
    output. it seems that the latex command can not handle such file,
    but it is not fault on sgml-tools side, maybe.
    html browsers such as lynx and w3m can not handle such filenames
    in URIs, but I don't know it is their fault, because I am not
    sure the URI with spaces is allowed in RFC.
    Anyway, the reporter claims that he wish to use the filenames with
    spaces on rtf output, so I think this bug can be closed.

  * add new option "blank (b)" for sgml2txt to cut the continuous
    blank lines. modifications are done in fmt_txt.pl and related
    manpages. The default is 3, but is can be disscussed more.

  * support "-l pl" for polish language, taking the patch from
    <http//www.sgmltools.org/todo/72.txt>.
    Thanks for "Konrad Roziewski" for this patch.

  * modify lib/SGMLTools.pm to warn and abort if the specified document
    as input file are not written in linuxdoc DTD.

  * fix lib/dist/fmt_latex2e.pl to remove the empty lines in section's
    title for .tex file.
  * add "--footer (-F)" and "--header (-H)" option to sgml2html
    to insert the customized header and footer.

  * fix lib/dist/fmt_latex2e.pl and lib/dist/sgmltool/latex2/*mapping
    to convert URI which includes tilde (~) and enum (#) in <url> tag.

  * more tune on lib/dist/fmt_latex2e.pl to remove multiple comments
    in section's title to produce the correct .tex file with sgml2latex.

  * fix lib/SGMLTools/Utils.pm to handle multiple conditionalization
    for sgmlpre. Related document (guide.sgml) and manpages are updated.

  * fix lib/SGMLTools.pm not to output "Error:" messages
    when invoking sgmltools-v1 command (This is described in manpages
    as the authorized way to get the information about options).

  * lib/SGMLTools/Utils.pm: add sort() to set the order of format
    in help message ("general option:" is shown first)

  * Convert gif files under /usr/lib/sgml-tools/icons/
    into png files, and make modifications to SGMLTools/Html2Html.pm
    in order to use png files in the place of gif files for icons.
    Update related manpages. This change is intended to provide
    our users the way to use these icons without the inconveience
    related to the patent problem of GIF. This problem is reported
    on ldp-discuss list.

  * Use temporary directory to output the intermediate TeX/DVI
    and related files for sgml2latex.
    (modification is done in fmt_latex2e.pl only)

  * Fix man page for sgml2latex, reflecting the change in
    the previous version.

    (by me, for the Debian package of sgml-tools 1.0.9)

        * Apply the pdf patch written by Juan Jose Amor Iglesias,
          which was downloaded from:
          <http://slug.hispalinux.es/~jjamor/linuxdoc-sgml/>;
          Juan said his patch is GPL, so we can use it safely.

        * fix fmt_latex2e.pl to enable the use of graphics
          for dvi, ps, pdf output in latex format.

        * more fix fmt_latex2e.pl to enable the use of graphics
          for dvi, ps, pdf output in latex format. Previous version
          can not handle if "height=" and "angle=" attribute is
          specified, or extra space exists in the beggining of
          the line.

        * fix LinuxDocTools.pm to enable the automatic adding
          the definition setting for sgmlpre command.
          This is required because pdfTeX does not support eps
          graphic file. You should use conditional syntax to use
          the graphics for all of dvi, ps, and pdf.

        * more fix on LinuxDocTools.pm: found the keywords selected
          for previous version is not so adequate. So they are changed
          to just add "pdflatex=yes" when "-o pdf" is specified with
          sgml2latex. The example to use graphics in html/dvi/ps/pdf
          will be added to doc/example.sgml and/or doc/guide.sgml,
          maybe later.

        * Bugs in configure.in (thus configure), Makefile.in and
          LinuxDocTools.pm are fixed.

        * Modify asp mapping file for latex output in order to use
          img element for pdf. This eliminates the necessity to use
          the conditional syntax. An eps element is only used for EPS
          EPS graphics in tex/dvi/PS outputs, and an img element is
          used for PNG/JPG graphics on HTML/PDF outputs.
          (lib/dist/linuxdoc-tools/latex2e/mapping)

        * Add some explanations of elements for tables and graphics
          on doc/example.sgml. Also update on doc/guide.sgml and
          doc/guide.txt to match the 0.4.0 release.

        * Add "-T" option to sgml2html (linuxdoc -B html) to control
          the level of toc generation independent with the level of
          file splitting. You can use "sgml2html -s 0 -T 2" (or
          "linuxdoc -B html -s 0 -t 2") to generate single html
          output file with the toc for sections and subsections.

        * Update doc/guide.sgml and doc/guide.txt to match the release
          of 0.6.0.

        * Html2Html.pm is fixed to use the correct name for the
          temporary contents file and keep that file when the debug
          switch is enabled.  fmt_html.pl is also udpated to give
          the required value to Html2Html.pm.

        * Html2Html.pm is fixed in order not to halt when the input
          is really small one without any sections.

        * lib/dist/linuxdoc-tools/groff/{mapping,tr-mapping} is fixed
          to indent text output correctly for nested itemize list.

        * more fix on groff/{mapping,tr-mapping} to reset the level
          of indent in text output correctly for nested itemize list.

        * more and more fix on groff/{mapping,tr-mapping} to restrain
          some irerevant error messages from groff.

        * fix on latex2e/tr-mapping to use linuxdoctr-sgml.sty
          (Thanks to CHOI Junho <cjh@kr.FreeBSD.org> for his report)

        * more fix on latex2e/{mapping,tr-mapping} and fmt_latex2e.pl
          to correctly handle jlatex/dvi2ps limitation when -c nippon
          is specified.

        * more fix on fmt_latex2e.pl not to get the temporary dir
          name into the resulted ps file when "-o ps" is specified
          with sgml2latex.

        * modify LinuxDocTools.pm to use tr-mapping for groff or
          latex2e output, even if "-c nippon" is not specified.
          Thanks to CHOI Junho <cjh@kr.FreeBSD.org> for his report.
          I finally found that this is the cause of his problem.

    (by me, for linuxdoc-tools)

I am planning to release 0.7.1 with the patch from CHOI to enhance
the support of Korean language in weeks.

Thanks.
--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>