Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 00:56:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        toasty@home.dragondata.com
Cc:        billf@chc-chimes.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports on 2.2.5

 * > On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, Kevin Day wrote:
 * >
 * > > I grabbed the latest ports on a 2.2.5 machine and now i get:
 * >
 * > These two statements of yours contradict themselves inherently.
 * >
 * > "I grabbed the newest updates and tried to run them on old(er) software,
 * > why doesn't that work?"
 * >
 * > Try updating your /usr/share/mk directory, first of all, but that's no
 * > assurance it will work with 2.2.5, ports are tested in the -STABLE and
 * > -CURRENT enviornment, not on old releases.
 *
 * Never mind, I missed the heads up saying i'd need:
 *
 * ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/packages-stable/Latest/227upgrade.tgz

"225upgrade", Kevin. :)

 * (link is at www.freebsd.org)
 *
 *
 * I got about 30 responses saying "Upgrade to 2.2.7, stupid!"... Isn't ports

Guys, can we stop jumping on people just because thy don't know
something we do?  There are some documentation out there (even in our
very own handbook, I just noticed) that gives users the impression
that they can just grab the ports tree and stick it in their
2.some.old-RELEASE system.  They're not stupid.

 * designed to still work no matter what version you have? (within reason?)

Yes.  Bill was probably being a little to strict; no, we don't
"assure" that the ports work with any old release, but yes, generally
most of them work as long as you install the right upgrade kit.

Satoshi