Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2003 16:25:51 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [bsd-advocacy] Re: Draft: Proposed FreeBSD PubRelproject	Charter

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> I'm not one who likes forcing his opinion on the bsd-advocacy owner(s),
> but everyone should either discuss things here (in freebsd-advocacy)
> or there (on bsd-advocacy).  I'd probably prefer the former list
> though, since the freebsd-advocacy list is open to everyone and the
> occasional lurker who reads threads but doesn't reply to each and
> every post might have things to post that are well thought out and
> worthy of mentioning/discussing.

I'm really divided on this idea.

I like the idea of a FreeBSD-advocacy list that is central,
and where there are enough lurkers that some good idea can
spark involvement in normally passive observers.

On the other hand, I think that an advocacy group needs to
hold itself seperate from the project, once it has found a
mission or missions for itself.

The reason for the seperation, and the reason that my second
comment on their proposed charter was, in effect, "Do not make
yourselves subservient to the FreeBSD core team", is that the
bulk of the people involved in FreeBSD technical developement
are unqualified for making decisions relating to PR.

In particular, the core team members and the average committers
do not value PR work sufficiently to give it, say, the moral
equivalent status as "GEOM" or other code-work.

For example, no matter who was on a "PR team", it is unlikely
that the core team or the release engineers would permit a
release schedule, for a -RELEASE version, to be fixed to a date
for PR reasons... yet that is almost a requirement to be able
to get magazine coverage, which has a 3 month lead time on
editorial content.

They are also not good at it, or there would not be people
stepping up to the plate and pointing to it as a lack that they
are willing to expend personal time and effort to correct.

Finally, the project, proper, doesn't really see PR as something
which is lacking.

What this basically means is that any group that's doing PR
really needs to focus on "How shall we do this thing?", and not
on "Should we do this thing?", and being too closely tied to the
project or a "lurker's list" will mean arguments over direction
with people not helping put in the actual work.

By keeping the discussion in the "advocacy" on freebsd.org list,
they would be opening themselves up to arm-chair quarterbacking
from just those people who have been so ineffective at PR that
the people forming the new group felt the need to form a new group.

The other good argument for seperation, to my mind, is that, like
the college that has a rowing team, a football team, a baseball
team, a fencing team, etc., etc., not all groups will have the
same methods or goals, -- neither should they -- but all groups,
by their efforts, contribute to the same goal of obtaining new
publicity, and often obtain it from non-overlapping sets.

I was somewhat annoyed at the list being hosted at Daemon News,
but hosting it there is at least a degree of seperation that
would otherwise not be there, and it's at least a start on the
group of groups that will ultimately be necessary for their
mission to be successful, in the long term.  Hosting it there is
better than a freebsd.org list, in any case.

-- Terry