Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 1996 22:10:30 -0500
From:      "Danny J. Zerkel" <dzerkel@feephi.phofarm.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   newsyslog HUP hack

Andrey A. Chernov wrote:
> In message <199601160804.AAA20776@freefall.freebsd.org> Thomas Graichen
>     writes:
>
> >graichen    96/01/16 00:04:09
>
> >  Modified:    etc       newsyslog.conf rc
> >  Log:
> >  added the "-p" option to amd so that it writes it's pid to
> >  /var/run/amd.pid and added the "-l /var/log/amd.log" option there too
>
> >  added an entry for the "rotation" of /var/log/amd.log to newsyslog.conf
>
> What I need from newsyslog badly is a new newsyslog.conf field
> with pid file name. If such field present, newsyslog must read
> pid from specified file and do 'kill -1 pid' to inform process
> to close current logfile and open new one. It is needed because
> some essential daemons as Apache don't use syslog() call, but
> use their own log routines. They need HUP to start with new logs.
> Can you implement it, please?
>
> - --
> Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
> ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -
> http://dt.demos.su/~ache : Might start at beholding me,  /Thinking me dead.
> RELCOM Team,FreeBSD Team :         E.A.Poe         From "For Annie" 1849

No problem.  I just uploaded

ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/newsyslog.diff

which contains the patches you need.  I added another optional field
before the flags for the pid.file.path.  I also took out the curious
tendency to send syslogd a SIGHUP for EVERY file rolled over.

Danny J. Zerkel
Photon Farmers
http://www.phofarm.com/